Bit defender Antivirus identifies Inssider as trojan

Hi All, I downloaded Inssider and when i install it Bitdefender removes it as it indicates its Gen:Variant.Razy.624275…

An infected file attempted to run on your device.

Threat name: Gen:Variant.Razy.624275

Path: /Volumes/inSSIDer/inSSIDer.app/Contents/MonoBundle/inSSIDer.exe

We deleted the file to prevent malicious commands from being executed on your device.

Any help

thanks

1 Like

Hello mshkhon, welcome to the MetaGeek Community, and thank you for posting! I’m sorry about the trouble with inSSIDer and Bitdefender. We have contacted Bitdefender to let them know that this is a false-positive, and we’ll continue to work with them to get the situation resolved.

We use an installer called Squirrel (https://github.com/Squirrel) that allows us to do in-place updates without requiring a reinstall (like Chrome). I think probably some malware has also made use of Squirrel, which has caused Bitdefender to erroneously flag legitimate users of it, as well. Sadly, this happens pretty regularly with open source software, especially on Windows.

Thanks again for bringing the issue to our attention. We’ll try to get it resolved as soon as possible.

Plus 1 :frowning:

Looking forward to progress on this.

I am sorry @meta.geek that this isn’t resolved yet. We just submitted another False Positive report to BitDefender and are still waiting for them to respond (our original request was on March 17th).

However, as long as you are downloading the software directly from us, we are confident that this is a false positive. I have verified the signature and the notarization on the version from our website and both passed so I am confident that they have not been modified.

I haven’t used BitDefender personally but do they have a way to unblock a particular file?

An update from Bitdefender installed this morning resolves the issue. Thanks

Wonderful! Thank you for letting us know @meta.geek

cc @msukhon