Configuration Mismatch

Hello ipad,

Feel free to send over a .pcap of your environment (File > Export Summary) to support@metageek.com! Our support team can then take a closer look and see what could be causing the mismatch.

Thank you, please see attached

(Attachment settings.pcap is missing)

Hi

sent it and got a reply

Unfortunately some attachments in your email message to [“metageek+23ad26499fd56c10d5edb10958ec5b9d@discoursemail.com”] (titled Re: [MetaGeek Community] [General WiFi/Network Observations] Configuration Mismatch) were rejected.

Details:
settings.pcap: Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, heic, heif).

How do I send as its not one of them extensions??

Hi ipad,

Please send the .pcap file separately via email to support@metageek.com!

Hi Karl,

Thanks for sending that over! I see two things that may be causing that mismatch error:

The first is the basic data rates being used between the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios. Your 2.4 GHz radios allow for legacy data rates to be used (1, 2, 5.5, and 11) whereas the 5 GHz radios don’t. To fix this, try disabling legacy data rates on the 2.4 GHz radios, or enable legacy data rates on the 5 GHz radios. Note that not all AP vendors will allow you to do this. If that’s the case, I would simply dismiss the dashboard notification.

The second thing I noticed is that one of your 2.4 GHz radios offers a higher max data rate compared to the other radios. I’ve noticed this happen when an AP is newer or has more antennas. For example, my 2nd generation Apple Airport Express has a max data rate of 144.4 Mbps for its 2.4 GHz radio, whereas my 4th generation Apple AirPort Extreme has max data rate of 216.7 Mbps. If I look at the MCS Index here, I see this is because the 4th gen model has 3 spatial streams which can offer higher data rates. Again, you might not be able to fix this with your AP config utility. You may need to replace the older AP models with the newer models so that they are all offering the same max data rate.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I have Ruckus Access points and just started to use inSSIDer and get the message “Your access points in the 5GHz (and 2.4GHz) Band are not all configured with the same VHT Capabilities. We recommend configuring all access points in each band the same.” Any idea on what might be wrong?

Thank you.

Chad

@csullivan Welcome to MetaGeek! If you “Export Summary” from the File menu of inSSIDer and email it to me (ryan@metageek
) I’d be happy to look at your network configuration.
(The summary is a .pcap file containing one beacon packet from each access point that inSSIDer discovers)

Thanks for sending the summary @csullivan! I don’t see any obvious reason for the Configuration Mismatch warning and will dig in a bit further to see what’s triggering the warning.

1 Like

@csullivan Digging deeper into the beacon frames shows some slight differences in the VTH capabilities that are advertised. Observe the VHT Capabilities Info of 0x23800192 and 0x23894992.
Notice that half the APs support SU and MU Beamformer Capable and half do not.

Hi,
How can I figure out what the exact ‘differences’ are that are detected so that I can align them?
D.

Hi ddeconin,

Are you able to send over a .pcap of your environment to support@metageek.net so we can take a closer look? You can do this under File > Export Summary.

Hello MetaGeek.

I’m in QuĂ©bec, Canada, with a phone compagny Bell rooter. Recently, i had 4 relay from Bell in the house
and I notice a variety of errors.

I produced the *.pcap report.

Hi mikeberg3,

Thanks for sending that .pcap file to our support team! I was able to see these observed issues:

Too Wide

It looks like your 2.4 GHz radios are set to 40 MHz wide. We typically advise against this in dense WiFi environments to avoid adjacent channel interference.

Configuration Mismatch

It looks like your SAGEMCOM radio allows for a higher max data rate than the other radios. This can be a result of newer hardware, more spatial streams, etc. This appears to be what’s triggering the Configuration Mismatch observation.

Please let me know if you found any inconsistencies in this .pcap file or if you have any other questions.

Thank you.

My comprehension of your answer is that you reformulated the notes produced by the sofware but don’t give advice how to correct them. Right?

My comprehension of your answer is that you reformulated the notes produced by the sofware but don’t give advice how to correct them. Right?

Hi @mikeberg3, correct. We just warn you about the potential issues - unfortunately you would need to log into your router and make the actual configuration changes. Each router is different in how you access it, and where all the settings are, so at this time, we don’t provide step-by-step instructions. We may be able to do this in the future for a few popular models.

Bonjour,
j’ai des bornes wifi apple airport, et j’ai ces 3 erreurs sur mon dashboard:

je vous remercie d’avance pour votre aide. :slight_smile:

Hello spoint_shopping,

I also have two Apple routers (AirPort Extreme 5th Gen and AirPort Express 2nd Gen) and therefore inSSIDer displays the exact same observations for me too. Unfortunately the Apple AirPort does not allow us to make these specific changes to the network, so the best thing to do is simply “dismiss” the observation in inSSIDer.

I talk more about the generational hardware differences between AirPort models here which can also trigger these configuration mismatch observations. Again, these hardware differences are not something that we as the end user can change.

With that said, I’ve had nothing but a great WiFi experience with my Apple AirPort routers. The configuration mismatch between models does not appear to affect roaming or band-steering too much.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Your analysis here, and the .pcap dump from Export Summary
 helped me identify why I was getting the Configuration Mismatch warnings. I have a Netgear RBR20, an RBS20 and an RBS40V. The 40V puts out slightly different capability flags than the 20-series devices and was causing the warning.

Maybe a bored developer could put in a little analysis here, to tell us which flags are mismatching? Not sure if that would be a confusing feature for most users (vs. AutoJoel, above) in the end, though. Was glad I found this post and the recipe to understand where the mismatches were coming from!

Is this thread still active? I am sat here with my phone; my work laptop ; and my home machine all logged into my 5 Ghz WiFi. My phone and work machine all report a speed test of 300 Mbps but my home machine reports around 70 Mbps.

This is the machine I’m using with inSSIDer. I’m confused as to why this machine which is only a few months old is so slow. (Lenovo V145-15AST).

inSSIDer reports my access points in the 5 Ghz band are not configured with the same HT capablities. I can’t see how one machine would be effected by router settings and not the others??? (I have one router connected to my ISP and another configured as an access point point and connected to the primary by cable).

Can you offer any help?

Hi keithrthree,

I’m confused as to why this machine which is only a few months old is so slow. (Lenovo V145-15AST).

After a quick peak at the specs for that machine I found the WiFi adapter only supports 1 spatial stream. This will cap your maximum data rate by quite a bit (MCS Index here). My recommendation would be to ensure that an 80 MHz wide network is being used in the 5 GHz band. Or you can consider grabbing an external WiFi adapter that supports 3 spatial streams like this one here.

inSSIDer reports my access points in the 5 Ghz band are not configured with the same HT capablities. I can’t see how one machine would be effected by router settings and not the others???

This message can usually be ignored. It simply means that the hardware and WiFi radio specs in your APs aren’t the same. It usually does not affect performance for home networks too much.

I hope this helps!