Metageek product to use with Cisco AP in SE-Connect or Monitor Mode

I have an area of a hospital that we can’t camp out and collect data. I’d like to take advantage of a Cisco AP in either SE-Connect mode or Monitor mode to gather RF analysis and potential source of interferers/spiking channel utilization for brief periods of time.

I’m am currently using a trial version of Chanalyzer. Looking to see if Wi-Spy will enhance the view.

Hi @jeannedip7! Welcome to the MetaGeek community forums. Chanalyzer basically has two data sources: a Wi-Spy DBx, or a Cisco CleanAir AP. It can connect to and record data from one at a time.

Most of our customers end up with both: The Wi-Spy DBx for carrying around and getting the client perspective, and CleanAir for when they need to look at something remotely, or want the AP’s perspective.

The Wi-Spy DBx is a swept-tuned spectrum analyzer, and CleanAir AP’s have a Real-Time FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) spectrum analyzer. You might find that the Cisco AP does a better job at catching very fast transmissions like Bluetooth. My opinion: for the stuff that truly interferes with Wi-Fi, and for measuring channel utilization, both Wi-Spy and CleanAir AP’s do a good job. All of that to say, if you plan on just using Cisco AP’s, you don’t need a Wi-Spy, but it can be nice to have.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply.

Is the trial version any different than what I would get with a licensed version?

IIRC, the trial version should give you all of the features - but to get Cisco CleanAir after the trial is up, you’ll need to grab the Cisco CleanAir Accessory for Chanalyzer (which is basically a feature unlock).

Hey @casey, is that right? I know that I should know off the top of my head…

Joel and jeannedip7,

the trial version should give you all of the features - but to get Cisco CleanAir after the trial is up, you’ll need to grab the Cisco CleanAir Accessory for Chanalyzer (which is basically a feature unlock).

Yep, this is correct!

Can buy Cisco CleanAir Accessory for Chanalyzer? it go to 404 page is not here.

Bjorn Sundin

Hi Bjorn,

Unfortunately we have discontinued sale of the Cisco CleanAir accessory. With that said, we can still add the feature to your Chanalyzer base key. Simply send an email to support@metageek.com with this request and your license key!