Metageek product to use with Cisco AP in SE-Connect or Monitor Mode

I have an area of a hospital that we can’t camp out and collect data. I’d like to take advantage of a Cisco AP in either SE-Connect mode or Monitor mode to gather RF analysis and potential source of interferers/spiking channel utilization for brief periods of time.

I’m am currently using a trial version of Chanalyzer. Looking to see if Wi-Spy will enhance the view.

Hi @jeannedip7! Welcome to the MetaGeek community forums. Chanalyzer basically has two data sources: a Wi-Spy DBx, or a Cisco CleanAir AP. It can connect to and record data from one at a time.

Most of our customers end up with both: The Wi-Spy DBx for carrying around and getting the client perspective, and CleanAir for when they need to look at something remotely, or want the AP’s perspective.

The Wi-Spy DBx is a swept-tuned spectrum analyzer, and CleanAir AP’s have a Real-Time FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) spectrum analyzer. You might find that the Cisco AP does a better job at catching very fast transmissions like Bluetooth. My opinion: for the stuff that truly interferes with Wi-Fi, and for measuring channel utilization, both Wi-Spy and CleanAir AP’s do a good job. All of that to say, if you plan on just using Cisco AP’s, you don’t need a Wi-Spy, but it can be nice to have.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply.

Is the trial version any different than what I would get with a licensed version?

IIRC, the trial version should give you all of the features - but to get Cisco CleanAir after the trial is up, you’ll need to grab the Cisco CleanAir Accessory for Chanalyzer (which is basically a feature unlock).

Hey @casey, is that right? I know that I should know off the top of my head…

Joel and jeannedip7,

the trial version should give you all of the features - but to get Cisco CleanAir after the trial is up, you’ll need to grab the Cisco CleanAir Accessory for Chanalyzer (which is basically a feature unlock).

Yep, this is correct!