FCC voted to make 1200 megahertz in the 6 GHz band available for unlicensed use

Wi-Fi 6E is here and in order to help usher it in, the FCC voted to make 1,200 megahertz of spectrum in the 6 GHz band open to unlicensed use.

There seems to be mixed opinions on whether or not this is a good thing. What do you think?

US FCC votes to open additional spectrum for Wi-Fi use

It seems to be a good thing, especially for home consumers. I browsed the FCC order after seeing the comments by the current operators in the space. The order takes their issues up and attempts to address the concerns. I don’t know enough to say if the concerns are fully addressed, but they are addressed. The other thing that isn’t clear to me is if the FCC rushed the hearing process before a vote. They have done this before. I appreciate a speedy decision, but it is important to follow a defined hearing process to make sure voices are heard. In the end, someone generally isn’t happy, in this case the licensed operators, but at least all the issues are heard, and a better decision made.

I’m definitely excited! This is the first time that I can remember the FCC increasing availability of unlicensed spectrum. It’s great to see the FCC recognize the importance of WiFi and value of unlicensed RF.