How to Troubleshoot Wi-Fi Interference in a Small Office Setting

Hello guys! :wave:

We have been having variable Wi-Fi service lately, with frequent drops and sluggish speeds, and I’m attempting to identify the cause of the problem.

Our workplace is rather modest, with roughly ten staff working in an open-plan layout. We have a conventional Wi-Fi router, and I’ve done basic troubleshooting measures such as rebooting it and checking for firmware upgrades. However, the problems remain, and I believe that there may be some interference harming our network.

I’m interested if there are any specific tools or procedures you’d recommend for detecting and evaluating Wi-Fi interference in a confined environment. Are there any specific software tools or hardware devices that can assist us gain a better picture of what’s going on? I’ve heard about MetaGeek’s tools and am wondering if they might be beneficial in our circumstance.

In addition, if you have any insights on frequent sources of interference in office environments or best practices for increasing Wi-Fi performance, I’d be grateful. We tried moving the router and changing channels, but we didn’t have much luck.

I also check this: https://community.metageek.com/t/troubleshooting-wi-fi-interference-issues-with-metageek-tools-emmanuel-katto-ugandsnowflake But I have not found any solution. Could anyone suggest the best solution for this!

Thanks in advance!

Respected community member! :innocent:

Hi Jenny (assume this is your name), if you want to see the wireless spectrum to see if there’s any interference, it requires an initial investment $$. You need a spectrum analyzer tool and the application. There’s the trial version of Channalyzer 6 but you still need to have the spectrum analyzer dongle.
Perhaps see how many SSIDs are sharing the same channel as your network. You can do this with InSSIDER, Channalyzer 6 (requires external recommended wireless usb adapters), or suitable mobile wireless scanning applications. Also, how many SSIDs are you advertising?
Sometimes, just moving your wireless network to another channel may solve the problem.

Regards

Hi @jennyjaamesss,

Can you use Inssider and send us some screenshots of the network tab and one with the details your SSID (2.4 and 5Ghz)
Do this near your router and at your desktop

Your router is it far from your workspace.
If possible, can you send us a sketch of your open space?

Sometimes it’s very useful to move the router, even by a few meters.

Regards.