New user questions

1. Before starting my trial, I read an article that recommended using Edimax AC 1750.
    But reading the user manual, I see Wi-Spy is strongly recommended.
    What is the difference in functionality of inSSIDer between the 2?

2. The user manual describes various features available in inSSIDer . How do I access these features with MetaGeek Plus Pro?

3. inSSIDer causes dropouts in the list of available networks while using Edimax AC 1750 as the wireless adapter. By this I mean networks are listed, then not, then are, then not, etc. inSSIDer first showed the connected network, but quit when it became disconnected during the first dropout. Is this normal?

Thank you.

I asked Q#2 because when I launched inSSIDer, it stayed on the startup screen, not displaying any network data. I did not know how to get to the network data.
Later I had a launch that moved on to the all networks screen.

Hi user84,

I read an article that recommended using Edimax AC 1750.
But reading the user manual, I see Wi-Spy is strongly recommended.
What is the difference in functionality of inSSIDer between the 2?

These pieces of hardware accomplish two different things. The Wi-Spy DBx is a raw spectrum analyzer that can sweep the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. It can catch WiFi and non-WiFi interferers, such as microwaves, cordless phones, etc. The Edimax adapter, on the other hand, turns into a packet capture adapter when used with inSSIDer and a MetaGeek Plus subscription. This allows you to see clients, signal strength, and other analytics of your network and neighboring networks. This “3-in-one” offering is really all you need for solid WiFi troubleshooting. You can find out how this all works together in this video here.

The user manual describes various features available in inSSIDer . How do I access these features with MetaGeek Plus Pro?

These additional features can be unlocked with the Edimax adapter plugged in, a MetaGeek Plus subscription, and inSSIDer being ran as an admin.

inSSIDer causes dropouts in the list of available networks while using Edimax AC 1750 as the wireless adapter. By this I mean networks are listed, then not, then are, then not, etc. inSSIDer first showed the connected network, but quit when it became disconnected during the first dropout. Is this normal?

I recommend using the Edimax adapter as a packet capture adapter if you are subscribed to MetaGeek Plus. You will know the adapter is in this state if you see [PACKETS] next to it at the bottom of inSSIDer. If the adapter is being used as a WiFi scanner and you are running inSSIDer as an admin, you may have to delete the drivers as outlined here.

Otherwise, network dropouts are completely normal if the network is far away (maybe around -80 dBm or farther) or if there is too much traffic on a channel.

I hope this helps!

Thank you!
I did save a pcap file per your description.
Using the laptop’s wireless adapter along with the Edimax solved the network dropout issue.
My laptop is located just a few feet from my wireless router.