Something to improve/tune in inSSIDer's GUI?!

Hello!
I’ve just recently started using the inSSIDer (5.4.0.0) and found one very inconvenient functionality in the user interface.

1. How i can change the Signal Strength scale to show anything higher than 30 or lower than 70?
  2. You see a blank black spot between UTILIZATION and the CHANNELs diagrams for 2.4 and 5 GHz, so, can this blank space be utilized to expand the UTILIZATION diagram so that it fits more items?
  3. How i can tune the software so that it doesn’t show any clients associated with any given/selected AP, when such a client hasn’t been seen for longer than X minutes?

LFTHFYS :slight_smile:

Hello PierreKa,

How i can change the Signal Strength scale to show anything higher than 30 or lower than 70?

This scale automatically adjusts based on the packets that we see. For example, if inSSIDer sees a packet from your AP at -20 dBm and then the scale will adjust upwards to show that plot point. If you move really
far away and we see a beacon at -90 dBm, the scale will adjust downward to display the -90 dBm plot point. Here you can see my scale is only from -60 to -70 because I’m sitting still at the same distance from my AP: plot point

You see a blank black spot between UTILIZATION and the CHANNELs diagrams for 2.4 and 5 GHz, so, can this blank space be utilized to expand the UTILIZATION diagram so that it fits more items?

I see what you mean with that many clients and a scaled-down networks graph! I will be sure to bring this up with our product development team.

How i can tune the software so that it doesn’t show any clients associated with any given/selected AP, when such a client hasn’t been seen for longer than X minutes?

I recommend selecting the smallest timespan under View > Timeframe. This will help ensure that inSSIDer will only display packet information within that timespan. With that said, inSSIDer isn’t really designed to drop off clients or packet information because this information is helpful to troubleshoot roaming and band-steering. It might be helpful in this case to sort the Last Seen column so that older clients appear at the bottom:

I hope this helps!