Wifi & Installments

I am currently running a ( NetGear nighthawk router R7300 ) I have it running a 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 DNS also it is running as my active router I have replaced it as my old isp router was trash… so know it is running PPOE as said router. if that makes sense.

I live in a 1400 sq ft home, I currently have one extender which is a ( Tp Link RE220 ) Im using internet in a basement and im currently not receiving at least 90 % coverage from my wifi 5G Band and the problem with that is I feel like speeds could be faster especially the fact I was promised 1000 mbps & only getting 0.05 % of that out of my extender.

My question is how can I speed up my internet & increase my bandwidth and should I be updating my tech such as router & said extender? I’ve done everything I feel possible along with using InSSIDer flipping to different channels & using only 5G wifi…

If anyone can provide step by step ideas that they for sure know on a day 2 day basis that would be great.

1 Like

Hi elijahmonita97,

I currently have one extender which is a ( Tp Link RE220 )

Ah, typically WiFi extenders like this do not help out very much and can double the throughput on a band before reaching your devices. If wireless extenders are necessary, we typically recommend mesh solutions that use 5 GHz backhaul such as Google Home or Eero.

Another thing to consider is signal strength. This article here is a good reference to know what to strive for (-67 dBm). What type of signal strength are you getting at both the extender (from the main network) and your client device (from the extender)?

So my main network is around ( -70 dBM ) & extender is around the same so that’s what I don’t get but also the output of the wireless strength is there with the 5G but I just think I might need to upgrade the extender.

Another thing is with the router if I may add , it’s not reaching its full capacity that I’m sure it could reach , maybe it’s my isp not really sure but I’ve done everything in the book to power cycle , channel switch , to even a clean reboot, & a DNS Swap . So I’m curious onto what the problem may be with that besides that I get optimal speeds but it’s needs some type of better optimization…

Hi elijahmonita97,

So my main network is around ( -70 dBM ) & extender is around the same

OK, in theory that’s not a bad signal strength but it might not be enough considering it’s being extended by a less than ideal extender. I would definitely recommend a true mesh system such as Google Home or Eero for this use case.

Another thing is with the router if I may add , it’s not reaching its full capacity

I recommend running a throughput test from a device that is directly connected to the router via Ethernet to see what your baseline speed is. I am also guaranteed 1 Gbps from my ISP (CenturyLink) but normally get 800-900 Mbps via Ethernet. This is most likely due to capacity issues since my whole neighborhood shares the same ISP.