Mesh Extender Troubleshooting

Trying to add mesh extenders to Uverse WiFi network. How can I use inSSIDer to analyze them? I don’t want to turn on WPS for security reasons and pairing with Ethernet cable works but the devices do not appear to be networked after I relocate them elsewhere.

Hi tomlang,

With mesh extenders, I would simply use inSSIDer to make sure you have adequate signal strength (-67 dBm or better) from at least one extender in any areas that need good WiFi, as Adam does in this video here.

As I discuss in this video here, try not to have too many extenders at above -67 dBm as it might confuse a client. Most homes only require one or two extenders and often times do not need more.

Feel free to send over any screenshots of inSSIDer or let me know if you have any other questions!

Does the WiFi radio have an IP address? Where is the security enforced? In the extender or by the router?

Hi tomlang,

Does the WiFi radio have an IP address?

If the WiFi device associates to an AP, it should be handed an IP address.

Where is the security enforced? In the extender or by the router?

Both! It really depends on the model of extender. If the extender supports the same security type as the network it’s extending, then it should extend the same security type. However, if the extender is old and doesn’t support a newer encryption, then it will obviously not be able to extend the newer encryption.

For example, if your network is using WPA3 and you are using an extender from 2003 that only uses WEP or WPA1, then it will not be able to extend WPA3 security. The specs of the extender you are using should provide more clarity here.

I hope this helps!

Solved my own problem. I was trying to get Mesh Extenders working without enabling WPS (for security reasons). Once I enabled WPS they work fine. Had to enable SSID broadcasting for WPS and eliminate MAC address filtering, though.

Seems obvious, however nowhere in the AirTies 1920 documentation does it actually state WPS must be enabled.