Security Mismatch

This observation is shown when the access points do not all have the same security settings. We recommend configuring ALL access points to use WPA2 Security.

Does this mean for all access points with the same SSIDs or all access points shown within the scan? As you would expect this for all access points within the scan if they had different owners. This would only be useful if it were comparing devices with the same SSID.

Hi stu.mccluskey,

inSSIDer should only display observations when an SSID is starred, therefore it will only look at the APs under the starred SSID.

If you notice something otherwise, please let us know!

1 Like

Can you help and explain some stuff. I just got inSSIDer today. I don’t know much about all of this stuff. My Wifi modem/router was set to WPA-WPA2 so I changed it to WPA2. Then inSSIDer said "we strongly recommend you configure all APs to use the same security setting such as WPA2. I do not know what that means. What APs? I only have one modem. I did get a Wifi extender from Centurylink. Do they mean that? My cellphone is still set to WPA-WPA2. Do I change that somewhere in the phone? I really don’t know what to do. I just expected to change it to WPA2 in the modem and be good. Thanks.

Hi sharonkay.mt,

What APs? I only have one modem. I did get a Wifi extender from Centurylink. Do they mean that?

Yes, since your WiFi extender is sharing the same SSID as your modem, inSSIDer thinks this is another AP. Are you able to change the security settings on the extender to WPA2 only? Some extenders might not let you configure this, so no worries if not.

Here is some more info on the difference between WPA-WPA2 versus WPA2 only and why it’s more advantageous to keep everything WPA2 only.

My cellphone is still set to WPA-WPA2. Do I change that somewhere in the phone?

Since your cell phone is a client on the network then you do not need to make any changes in the phone settings. It should be able to connect to both a WPA2-only and a WPA/WPA2-mixed network.

If you have any other questions, please send over a .pcap file from File > Export Summary to support@metageek.com so that our team can take a closer look!

Thank you. My extender is out of whack and they are sending a new one. Sounds like I do not need to worry about it over lapping. I will see if I can set it to WPA2 if I can ever get them to work. I really appreciate your response.

I still don’t understand. inSSIDer is nice but not helpful if you don’t even know what the comments are or how to fix them. I got this. image I only have one modem and no other access points (maybe- what are those exactly?). I will look to see if I can send the .pcap file.

Hi Sharon,

This observation simply means that one of your neighbors is deploying a WiFi network that is interfering with yours. The network name is 2boysandamom2.4 and at -67 dBm, it is close enough to affect your WiFi.

test

There is really not much you can do other than ask the owner of this network to move their network to channel 1, 6, or 11, as recommended here. It might be worth bringing a plate of cookies. :slight_smile:

Please let me know if you have any other questions.