Mesh Router Security

Hello,

Just curious on how secure is a mesh network that uses a combination of WPA/WPA2 security? InSSider 5.2.2 flagged my network. My current mesh network has no way of configuring just WPA2. This begs the question, are mesh networks less secure than the one router networks? Please advise. TIA.

Sid

Hey Sid,

Hmm, I don’t think mesh networks are necessarily less secure than normal networks… I have a few questions:

1. What is the vendor you are using for that mesh system?
  2. What adapter are you using to scan with in inSSIDer?
  3. Can you send over the flag message that inSSIDer showed you?

Sid,
Thanks for joining the MetaGeek Community! WPA2 uses AES encryption, which remains unbroken. WPA on the other hand uses TKIP, which is not as secure and can be broken. With WPA2 someone can try a bruteforce attack using common passwords, but if you have a reasonably unique password a WPA2 WiFi network is secure.

Here is an article about cracking WPA by just capturing one packet during the 4-way handshake that creates the encryption keys.

Hey Casey,
Thank you for your response.

1. If vendor means my ISP, its Xfinity.
  2. No inSSIDer adapter. My laptop wireless card is:
    Intel Wireless-Ac 9260, 2230, 2X2 Ac+Bt, Gigabit, No Vpro.
  3. The message was:
    Weak Security (WPA)
    “It looks like WPA security is enabled on your network. WPA is an older protocal and is vulnerable to a attack. We recommen using WPA2 security”.

The particular 3 pack mesh router I am using Meshforce M1.
“Secure Connection to Your Smart Home: Your data and WiFi access are well protected under WPA/WPA2 PSK Mixed security – industry level password encryption”.

Hey Ryan,

Thank you for your response and the link.

The particular 3 pack mesh router I am using Meshforce M1.
“Secure Connection to Your Smart Home: Your data and WiFi access are well protected under WPA/WPA2 PSK Mixed security – industry level password encryption”.

No way to access to change the mixed security. All my other routers (non mesh) I used WPA2-AES.

This is the first time I have ever encounter this setting up a network.

Sid